Thursday, February 3, 2022

Baba Yaga

 Salvete Omnes,



I do like fairy and folk tales, and some of the best ones are our old pre- and post-Christian Slavic tales,  while the Russian folk tales are my favorites (especially Konik Garbunok).
But there are lots of similarities between all Slavic fairy tales when comes to the demon-witch and other dark characters,  that goes back to the pagan beliefs and customs; also many tales across the great Eurasian steppe share similarities and common characters, even some relate Baba Yaga (Baba Jaga in Polish) with ancient Greek Kirke...  so this is a field that has been the subject of many studies, as this list from Academia can exemplify.





While drawing and seeking for something good to listen I came across this YT channel - The Histocrat - and I listened to one of their productions - Baba Yaga - Mythillogical (I was interested in the Heracles story but that 2 part presentation will be for later days).



So I rather enjoyed their, Charles and Crofty, presentation - they center on the Russian Baba Yaga stories and place it more within the Russian and eastern Slavic tradition, but that is not a big deal, becasue hat is material to the story of Baba Yaga and various tales they go over, that they do this tale with style and gusto, and keep the listener, in my case at least, interested.  Which makes this presentation quite a feast I must add. 




In order to make the post more colorful and more lively below  I am adding  some images of Baba Yaga, Bogatyr-witez created by famous Russian illustrator Ivan Bilibin.











enjoy the presentation
In Polish short film production there is a fun feature film titled Jaga (Yaga) which is a take on the old tales and fables, and quite enjoyable -

 
nota bene, in the second season of Netflix Witcher there is a house or hut on chicken legs, but the series season 1 and 2 are not as enjoyable as the books by Sapkowski have been to me. C'est la vie

Valete

No comments: