Friday, April 5, 2024

Right-handed and a sinister Sassanian

 Salvete Omnes,



long time ago - circa 2007-8AD, I drew, based on dr Patryk Skupiniewicz' research and guidance, some Parthian and Sassanian heavy armored cavalrymen/horsemen fro Karwansaray's Ancient Warfare issue.
I was browsing the net and came across this illustration

the image comes from Italian version of Focus - and the image was found on Pinterest


painted by Griorgio Albertini for dr Raffaele D'Amato's article for the above-mentioned Italian magazine publication. My horseman , drawn from the same source as the horseman of Alberini's, also can be found on Pinterest. 
Let us compare both in some detail 


so my Sassanian is right-handed, holding the 'Kushan' mace in his right hand, while the Italian version of my Saassanian is 'a sinister one' so to speak.
The placement of the sword  and bow case are in the right-handed position. 
Accrediting to the author's they replaced the helmet with the Emesa helmet mask with some changes with the collar.
Other than that I would say it is flattering to see one's artwork copied and/or interpreted, but it would be also nice to know they did this, especially since we have been in contact for many years now. 
alas, we all have our own fight to fight, don't we?
..

and my old sketch, before dr Patryk Skupniewicz corrected the 'reconstruction.' Nota bene I am sure we, especially dr Patryk's own scholarly research,  would have done a different reconstruction nowadays, lots of have changed in the Sassanian research and interpretations since then.



It has been long time ago since I done any Persians in this context so this year I will have a surprise for you, God willing

ps
I will have to write another post about publishing my illustrations without my consent nor even without crediting me as the author in an e-book released in the Polish e-book market  - but this I will write in some another post. 

ps'

and let us hope peace returns to our poor Earth - end of all wars, let us read about them as long gone events even if heroic, but for lov of God not actually fight them. 
Happy Ramadan to all

Valete

1 comment:

Dario T. W. said...

the idea about the 'sinister' Sassanian comes from prof Ilkka Syvane, thank you dear professor and friend