Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Horses from Praeneste

Salvete Omnes,
It is Christmas today, and away from eating and merriment I have been perusing the images on the Wiki commons related to the ancient Roman art and horses.
There is a book I have not bought yet - Roman Heavy Cavalry (1): Cataphractarii & Clibanarii 1st Century BC - 5th Century AD" (Elite 225) by Raffaele D'Amato and Andrey Negin.  My friend Patryk Skupniewicz says the book is good, so I will have to add it to my collection. It has some intersting and some very new imags of Roman cavalrymen and their mounts and equipment.
Why I mention this book, well, in other books by D'Amato & Negin  there are many images, often for the first time seen outside the academic works,  of the original Roman artwork, iconography and archaeological findings as well as many reconstructed horsemen and their horse tack.

I enjoy studying these books for the images and text , and more often than not I find myself looking for the places and objects mentioned in the books, seeking if there are more images an/or texts available on Wiki.
This led me to Palestrina - the ancient Praeneste - where the spectacular monumental temple to Fortuna Primigenia, probably the largest sanctuary in Latium or even the whole Italy.


and some amazing relieves from there, showing horses and horse tack.




 

I put this horse in vertical position, the original is part of the horizontal adornment
 My Good Fortune always be with you all.
valete

No comments: