Thursday, January 29, 2015

Just sketching in Outremer

Salve,
inspired by great art of Mr Telenik I did some sketching  towards my project of the horses of Outremer , but there is little flow as I am battling  awful midwinter flue or cold etc.

As usual a mixture of 'watercolor' brushes in MyPaint and Krita, while GIMP for editing.

...several days ago I discovered this blog  - Defending crusader kingdoms- by historian and writer Helena Schrader and I strongly encourage you to visit and peruse (articles and book reviews, ability to comment etc) .

I am going to get Ms Schrader's book about Balian d'Ibelin. (Balian of Ibelin), one of my favorite subjects of the crusades. By the way, I accidentally encountered and read Marcin Mortka's trilogy 'Miecz i kwiaty' ('The Sword and the Roses') about Outremer during the III Crusade and I mostly enjoyed his book, while  Balian was described there as well, albeit a post-modern portrayal of a Medieval knight, nobleman and commander.


Nota bene a very useful book to have in terms of the medieval horse - The Medieval Horse and Its Equipment, c.1150-c.1450 (although its scope's limited to England ) while I do need an article or a book, or two about the southern Italian stock breeding under the Byzantines and Siculo-Normans. I am currently rereading Ms Hyland's Medieval Warhorse and Mr Gladtiz' Horse Breeding in the Medieval World.
enjoy


3 comments:

Dario T. W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dario T. W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dario T. W. said...

http://tales-of-chivalry.com/